Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Streets Of The Future

This was the title of a project for 2nd graders, in which they were to write a story about what the streets of the future would look like. While the vast majority of the children described the future in bleak terms highlighting theft war and poverty, one student stood out. She was a young Jehovah's Witness who described the future in peaceful utopia-like conditions where everyone was friendly and the world was unified. A positive outlook for someone so young. Why was she able to look optimisticly to the future while the others did not? Because of the hope found in the Bible.

Now regardless of whether you are religious or not, isn't it valuable for children to be raised with hope and positivity? Not that children who are raised non-religious or do not believe in the Bible are hopeless. But doesn't the idea of everlasting life in a paradise sort of blow everything else out of the water?

3 comments:

Romulus Crowe said...

Followed you here from Tom Sheepandgoats' blog. Apologies for the intrusion.

I have no religious inclinations, but the tone of this post struck a chord. Bible or no, children are taught the wrong things now.

They are taught that the world owes them. That they can do no wrong. That there is no consequence to error or failure. That all of them--without exception--are the best.

It's not true. I'm no exception. I'm an academic but does that make me a better man than a plumber or a bricklayer? How do I fix a leaky pipe? How do I build a straight wall?

I'm not better. I'm different. I do things they can't do. They do things I can't do. We are not, as modern teaching likes to pretend, all equal and all the same.

Children might not be being taught that the world is a desperate and doomed place, but they are being taught how to make it so.

More positivity would definitely be a good thing. If it comes through religion, then even though I won't follow religion, I would welcome it.

The source is less important than the result.

Anonymous said...

No apologies needed. I appriciate the comments.

I agree with your sentiments on the self-centered attitude of children today, and the negative effects this will have.

Though the girl I mentioned was a Jehovah's Witness, the positivity of her story seemed to be due to a spiritual inclination encouraged by her parents. This part of human nature is neglected by many. Ultimately to the detriment of all us humans.

I find your last comments very interesting. Unique among irreligious people.

tom sheepandgoats said...

The moment I heard about earth being made a paradise, it had instant appeal. Like an endless camping trip. Who doesn’t enjoy the outdoors when stresses are few and friends are many. Heaven, on the other hand…..I mean, what are you going to do there? For most of us, as some vague feel-good notion, heaven will do fine, but if you really want something you can sink your teeth into, a paradise earth is the ticket.